Monday, September 23, 2013

But they will want to know Him by the way I live... They will?

So then faith cometh by... watching believers live?
Huh?
This is absurd.

There is so much false thinking out there on what it means to be a witness for the Lord. Some may think, "Well, they will know I am a Christian by the way I live and will want to ask me how to become a Christian." This thinking goes against the very teachings of Jesus. Jesus' very words were in Mark 16:15  And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. We can turn to Paul, who is the apostle to the churches and he said  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Rom 10:17)   For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? (Rom 10:13-14)

Possibly the most dangerous thing about "lifestyle evangelism" is that there is no mention of Christ unless someone seeks you out to ask you. And I have never had that happen. Sure, they may see you being a good person and compare themselves to you. They may think, "Well, I am a good person, too. I don't cuss or drink. I am actively involved in charitable causes. Surely no loving God would send me to hell." But that is the problem. People are comparing their "righteousness" with what they see in you, and not the righteousness of God. The Bible says that all our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).   As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: (Rom 3:10).  Without God's holiness as our standard, all of our good works become relative and none of them are "good enough".

So, now that we have established what the Bible says about witnessing and "life style evangelism", practically speaking, how does this look for us as Christian women who may not have many opportunities for personal evangelism? I know just how hard it can be to witness when you've got kids, and a million and a half things to do, and all you really want to do is be at home sitting on your front porch reading a good book. I get it. But, souls are at stake. 

So, what can we do?

Gospel tracts. Gospel tracts are a great (and probably my favorite) tool for witnessing. Hand them out wherever you go. The checkout person at Walmart. At the drive thru window at burger king. You can put them in the gas pump handles at the gas station. Leave them with a good tip for your waitress at Ryan's. When you are on the road, leave them at rest areas. We stuff them in the return envelopes we get for credit card offers and mail them back. You can also stuff them in magazines at the doctor's office. Gospel tracts are simple and effective for getting the gospel out. This is a great activity for your children to be involved in, also. This teaches them to be little soldiers for the Lord.

Any chance you get to talk about the Lord, do it. Give Him the glory!! But you might be thinking, "I don't know any Scripture." I am sure you know enough to get the Gospel across. (and here's something, the people you are witnessing to, probably don't know any Scripture either)." I get nervous around people, I am not a people person, I can't just start up a conversation, I am not outgoing..." The list could go on and on. Look, I get it. I am pretty reserved, also. I was shaking (literally) the first time I handed out a gospel tract. But after that, it was nothing. I remember the butterflies in my stomach as I talked to Star in the waiting area at Walgreen's about how to get to heaven. Now, I jump at the opportunity to witness. I love it. I love being able to pray with people who are hurting and lost. I love introducing people to my Savior, the One who bare my sins in His flesh as he hung on that tree at Calvary. I know I don't have all the answers, but I know the
One who does!

Other ways include holding Scripture signs up while street preaching. Door knocking and church visitation, putting Scripture signs in your yard and on your car. These are all simple but bold things we as women can do to get the word of God out.

Of course, your walk should match your talk. No one is going to take you seriously if they see you with a bottle of wine or a case of beer in your buggy, a cigarette in your hand, or you fussing at your children in line at the grocery store.The light of Christ is so vastly different from the darkness and filth in this world. We shouldn't act like the world, look like the world, or talk like the world. Our actions should reflect the light of Christ, but it shouldn't stop there with our actions. We need to be actively getting the word of God out.

Let this be an encouragement to you. How awesome will that day be when our Savior looks at us and say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant"! What an honor it will be to cast our crowns of rejoicing (for winning souls) at His feet. Glory to God!!!

Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

ETA: I forgot to let yall know where some of our favorite places to get tracts and scripture signs from:

Some of our favorite tracts come from:
Fellowship Tract League
Chick Tracts

Scripture Signs for your yard and car can be found at:
Bible Baptist Bookstore
Bible Baptist Bookstore also sells some of the best resources in defense of the KJV. Check them out if you are in the Pensacola area :)

No comments:

Post a Comment